My New Website Launched! Now What? Previous Post
2015 Spring Cleaning for Your WordP... Home Comment
If you have a WordPress website and you blog, it is important you verify your Google Authorship. It is very easy to do when using WordPress. Word has it, Google will soon be changing their Google Authorship requirements and make it tougher to get. Before you verify your authorship, there are a few things you need to do. First, let’s start with the simple questions.
Why Do I Need A Google+ Page?
1. Google owns it.
2. You need it for Google Authorship.
3. Allows you to raise your visibility on Google by getting more people to engage with you.
4. Allows you to comment on YouTube.
5. You can embed followed links in your post.
6. Sharing your post on Google+ will allow it to be indexed immediately.
There are many more reasons to create a Google+ page. Cyprus Shepard wrote a great blog post on Moz about how to take advantage of Google+. You can read it here.
Why Do I Need Google Authorship?
1. You can see analytics for your content in search.
2. Distinguish and validate your content in search results.
3. Get more followers on Google+.
4. Help readers discover your other content on the web.
5. Help users find high quality content on the web.
6. Empower them to engage with content authors through Google+.
Ok now you know why you need it. Let’s roll up our sleeves and get started.
Creating a Google+ Profile
1. Make sure you have a Gmail account. You can use your personal Gmail account.
2. Sign in to your Gmail Account.
3. Go to the upper right hand corner and click on the drop down arrow.
4. You will now see where it says Join Google+
5. Add photo & click Upgrade. Make sure it is a good head shot photo of yourself and not your pet.
6. You cab skip the next 2 steps 2 and click continue or you can complete them.
7. You will now start filling out your personal information.
8. Click on the home button in the upper left corner. You will then see a button that says PROFILE. Click on it.
9. Fill out all the info. When you get to the contact info make sure you add your personal Gmail Address you are using and your business email address you use for blogging and posting.
10. You will now be asked to verify your business email address. Once you click on verify, you will receive an email to your business email address. Once you click verify on the email, it will take you to your new verified Google+ page.
11. Make sure you see 2 arrows next to your email address. This confirms you connected your business email with your personal Google+ account.
12. Now you must link your blog with your Google+ page. Go to links section of Google+ on the about page. Here you can connect all of your social networks to your profile. What you really want to do first is connect your blog or anywhere else you contribute to.
1. Go to https://plus.google.com/authorship. Add your email address and click sign up. Oh and make sure you read everything. Great way to familiarize yourself with Google Authorship.
2. You will then receive a verification email. One you Verify, you have just signed up for the Authorship.
3. You will now go to WordPress. Go to your user profile in the backend. Find the Contact info. Add your Google+ URL to the Google+ field.You will now go to WordPress. Go to your user profile in the backend. Find the Contact info. Add your Google+ URL to the Google+ field.
4. Once you add the Google+ URL to your account, wait a few minutes and go to: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets add the URL of a recent post.. If you see your image and its says Authorship is working, Congratulations Google now has your back!!
Congratulations you know have a Google+ page and a Google Authorship markup. Did it work for you?
P.S. If you do not have a WordPress website, go to Google Webmaster Tools guidelines for instructions on how to link your content to your Google+ profile.